Wednesday 27 May 2015

Part 3 of my "Journey to fulfill a promise"

My grandfather and grandmother or in Japanese, my Ojiichan and Obaachan

Part 3 of Journey to Fulfill a Promise

Yesterday, I was going to write part 3 of this incredible journey, the meeting with my aunt, but the story did not come to me.  Throughout this entire journey I have vowed to allow things to unfold and not force it.  Today, part 3 has revealed itself to me.  For those of you that have followed this journey with me, you know, I didn't come to pay my respect or even meet a relative.  Simply wanted to "walk the earth my mother walked."  Yes, I wanted to do those other things if at all possible, but upon my departure from Japan, my success would have been complete by simply coming, seeing Kagoshima and departing.  Some force has allowed me though, to not only walk in the exact same spots on this earth as my mother, but also, pay respect to her parents, for her, and meet her surviving sister, my aunt, Hitomi-san.  Friday, I will meet my mom's only other surviving sibling, her sister, my aunt, Tamami-san, who is flying in from Nagoya and staying at my hotel. 

Last Saturday couldn't come fast enough.  That was the day I was to meet my mom's sister, and my aunt, Hitomi.  As I said in the other parts of the story, Hitomi-san lives in the town of Yoshino (yes, same name as my son).  So, we drove to Yoshino and I couldn't contain myself.  Would she reject me because I'm only half Japanese?  How would she receive me?  Many questions were racing through my mind, as we drove through the winding streets of Yoshino, in full view of the beautiful volcano, Sakurajima.  We finally stopped, but we couldn't find the exact home, so my friends knocked on a random door and asked for directions.  Crazily enough the woman who answered said, "We have been waiting for you!"  So, seemed the whole neighborhood knew we were coming.  She told us the way to my aunt's house and we drove a little further, pulling into the driveway and out came this woman who looked like my mother.  OMG...it was my aunt Hitomi-san.  I got out and tried to blurt out in Japanese the proper greeting, but emotions, tears and her jumping on me ended all the formalities.  She hugged me exactly like my mom used to...really tight!!  My fears were quieted; she accepted me as family.  It was a great feeling to receive such a loving welcome from family.  Truly cannot tell you the emotions I felt at that time....will simply allow the pictures to tell the story.


 Haven't been hugged by blood relatives like this since my mom passed away; long overdue feeling and yes, lots of tears


 She wouldn't let me go....nice feeling!
My aunt had been talking with Cindy and she had hugs and tears for her too:)

Funny, she is hugging me like my mom used to....with both hands together around my waist
Easy to love someone who shows their love
 My aunt and her husband, my uncle,
Nakae-san...a great man


 My Obaachan and her sister.  Both lived to be over 100 years old.  My Obaachan just died 3 years ago....just missed seeing her by a few years:(
Great day!  We talked to my aunt in Nagoya and she agreed to come visit me and stay at my hotel.  So, this Friday my two aunts, their husbands, my Kirishima family, Cindy and Niang, plus my new friends Ryuji and Tomoyo, will all meet at my hotel and celebrate family.  My journey will be more than complete, but it won't be the end....it will be the beginning of a relationship with family that I hope to see for many more years; that is my new promise!   
Tomorrow is part 4.  It's about my golf outing with my new found uncle.  For anyone that knows me, I love to golf.  Turns out my uncle is a wonderful golfer.  We were joined by my two new friends, Ryuji and Tomoyo.   What a day, what a course and what an experience. 

5 comments:

  1. Sweet Michiyo! I am so happy that everything is unfolding as it is and that you have made a connection/develop friendships that will last a lifetime! Continue to enJOY your remaining time with your family/friends! Absolutely Beautiful Bro-san!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures Sweetie! Especially the one of you kissing your aunt :-) Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's sister looks a lot like her! How wonderful this is for you! What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom's sister looks a lot like her! How wonderful this is for you! What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sniff, sniff...This is a great start to a great year! ~ Caroline

    ReplyDelete